Monday, February 21, 2011

On The Market {UPDATED}

Our home is officially on the market.

For. Sale.

{I hope it doesn't last long.}

Because, it's HARD to keep a house in sellable shape all the time.  Especially with a 4 and 5 year old under foot.  So I'm all for quick tips that will help speed things up when I have to get the house clean for a showing, and overall tips that will make a house attractive to a buyer.

You know, learn something new that I don't already know from HGTV.

A quick search on the internet turned up these gems.  They are perfect advice. 
  • Say to yourself, "This is not my home; it is a house -- a product to be sold much like a box of cereal on the grocery store shelf. (If only it was that easy, and that cheap)
  • Clean out any musty smelling areas.  (Does this count spray painting furniture in the basement as a no-no?  My husband does.  Good thing he's out of town)
  • Say goodbye to every room. (oh my)
  • Don't look backwards -- look toward the future. (or you might just see that you overlooked cleaning that corner!)
  • Remove all books from bookcases. (I just don't understand.  Then why did I spend so much time styling those bookcases?)
  • Alphabetize spice jars.
  • Bathroom towels look great fastened with ribbon and bows.  (Ahhh, yes)
  • Go outside and open your front door. Stand there. Do you want to go inside?  (Yes.  I live in Colorado.  It's COLD outside.)
  • Plant yellow flowers or group flower pots together. Yellow evokes a buying emotion. (I had no idea.  Who knew yellow flowers would sell my home!)
  • If you want to take window coverings, built-in appliances or fixtures with you, remove them now. (Like my Restoration Hardware silk blinds in the living/dining room)  If a buyer never sees it, she won't want it. Once you tell a buyer she can't have an item, she will covet it, and it could blow your deal. Pack those items and replace them, if necessary.  (I am starting to agree.  I think my "curtains up but coming with me" may have blown a deal already!)
Check back tomorrow and my house will be SOLD!

UPDATED:  No joke.  We really got an offer the day after I posted this.  And I did have to fight for my RH silk curtains, but it was worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment